Saturday, January 9, 2010

Christmas with Ramana Maharshi and Swami Vishwananda









When the teachers at the Gujarat Ayurved University, where I’ve been attending a three month Introductory Course in Ayurveda, announced that we had 10 whole days off for Christmas, my first thought was to celebrate it at Ramana’s ashram and take Swami Vishwananda along. (Swamiji had told me that it’s hard for him to get around right now, due to his failing health). So I emailed him and the ashram to arrange for a stay. Swamiji and the ashram gave their gracious consent. I was allowed to stay from the 25th till the 29th and Swamiji, the same. (Swamiji later informed me that he felt uncomfortable staying away from his medical support system for so long, so he would come for one day and then leave; okay)

It was a journey that was not for the faint of heart. I finished a full day of classes and then along with another student, headed for the overnight train from Jamnagar, Gujarat to Ahmedabad. Nice on paper, but in reality the beds were really hard and we were both freezing. We had not planned well in the warmth department, Stefanie and I, so it was a sleepless night of cold rocking. Our 11:20 pm train arrived in Ahmedabad at 6:30 am and we were then whisked away by a rickshaw; (the one for 150 rupees, as opposed to the 400 rupee one) to the airport. We each boarded our separate planes and I flew off to Bangalore where Swamiji met me at 11:45 with a taxi, the driver, Guru Murthi and Satisha (Swamiji’s disciple and companion). Seeing Swamij again was wonderful and the conversation was filled with divinity and friendship during our journey. We made the 4-hour drive in good time; the goal was to reach there in time for the evening puja at 6:30. By Ramana’s grace we made it in perfect time.

We rushed right to the temple, not stopping at our rooms; Guru Murthi maneuvering through the hundreds of cars in the parking lot in front of the ashram. We could feel the vibration as we walked up to the temple and were drawn, not only by our divine intention, but also by the magnetic quality of Ramana, the chanting, and the love and devotion of the thousands who had come here for the same purpose; we were not alone in wanting to celebrate the birth of Christ with Ramana. The hall was resounding with both an inner silence and a deafening devotion. It was a beautiful and uplifting experience.

After the puja we waited in the huge line of devotees for our dinner. Both dining halls were packed to overflowing and devotees were served in the tradition of this great saint, a simple meal of rice and dal on the floor on a handmade plate of leaves pinned together with small pieces of wood the size of toothpicks. Swamiji and I, because of his health, ate at a table. I gave thanks for Ramana and his gift to us all and for his deep, but simple teachings of humility that he lived so eloquently. Those gifts and traditions remain still, for us all to experience. We then retreated to our rooms to unpack with an agreement to meet in about 20 minutes in Swamiji’s room for sweets (he comes prepared)…

The next morning the stress of all the travel and not sleeping the night before, caught up to me and I slept through the first puja and breakfast. Guru Murthi came to fetch me in time to slip me into the dining hall through the kitchen; but it was hours before I forgave myself; eventually Ramana’s grace descended upon me and I moved forward.

Swamiji took me to meet the President and then we piled into the car and proceeded around Arunachala. Swamiji had suggested that we chant the chant for Aranachala without stopping. We chanted the whole time we drove around the sacred mountain, singing it’s simple but powerful chant; never stopping. It truly was uplifting. When we arrived back at the gate of the ashram I, and Swami Vishwananda could barely speak. We all met in my room and then he ordered his driver to fetch chocolates to celebrate the occasion, which he did. When Guru Murthi returned, Swamiji spoke this beautiful prayer “ Today happens to be Christmas; Holy Christmas Day. We have come to the place of Tiruvannamalai, which is a Holy place for us and where thousands and millions of people are coming and paying their devotional prayers to Aranachula and Saint Ramana Maharshi. I offer prayers to the almighty, Jesus Christ, Krishna, Ram and all the Gods of the Universe on this occasion, with my beloved friends: Sister Phyllis Victory, Satisha, and Mr. Murthi. Join me in this prayer: I pray the almighty to make everyone to have divine consciousness. Light the lamp in their hearts to become the divine lamp and be divine. We are privileged to be here on this Holy occasion in Ramana ashram. Glory to Sri Ramana! Glory to Sri Ram! Glory to Krishna! Glory to all Saints and to all Rishis! Let our hearts be sweet with these chocolates. Om Sri Ramana, Om Sri Ramana, Om Sri Aranachula. Om Om Om!”
We ate the sweet chocolates and then Swamiji, Guru Murthi and Satisha left for Bangalore and I remained at the ashram.

For the next three days, I am happy to report, I did manage to make it up for early pujas and spent my last three glorious days there mostly meditating in the great hall and the small room where Ramana lived and taught.

The question of “Who Am I?” resonated deeply in my being the whole time I was there (and continues) and I kept thinking, in that great, silent hall and in the small room where Ramana lived, that the greatest devotion one could pay to any teacher, is to put into action the words that they have shared. The question remains with me.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh...this was beautiful, dear Sister Phyllis! Thank you for bringing me along on your devotional drives through Arunchala with Swamiji and Sri Ramana!
    Namaste!
    Marilynn

    ReplyDelete